Part of being a Professional Photographer involves a continuous education on public information privacy. This article isn’t actually about Photography or Weddings, but can be helpful for those of us concerned for the well-being and privacy of our loved ones.
Disclaimer: This is about to sound a bit spammy at the beginning but it’s meant sincerely as an FYI.
The site is http://www.familytreenow.com/ and it has a LOAD of my personal information: my parent’s names, brother, wife, it has my past 6 addresses and when I lived at each of them (and they’re all correct), it lists “Possible Associates” and they are all in fact mix of family on both my and my wife’s sides, and our close friends. Although all of this is technically public information, this website has compiled it all into one easily searchable central database which I am not okay with (although, tip of the hat for making such a clever algorithm).
To remove yourself
(as I have just done):
- http://www.familytreenow.com/ (THAT’S RIGHT. NOT EVEN HTTPS . COME ON NOW.)
- Search for your name and state.
- Click “View Details”
- Be surprised (or not).
- Scroll to bottom (Past all the horrifyingly public records to the very bottom.)
- Click “Privacy” (between ‘Terms’ and ‘Contact Us’)
- Find the line about 1/3 down the page: “Opt Out of Living People Records.Your privacy is important to us. If you would like your records removed from our database, please opt out here.”
- Follow prompts.
- Re-search yourself, view your record again.
- Now you will able to choose “Opt-Out this Record”
- You will receive an “Opt-Out Confirmation” message saying that it may take up to 48 hours to process.
- Have a great day.